Thursday, 7 February 2013

The Galoobs are coming!

Many years ago, when I was a wee lad, it was announced over the radio; The Galoobs are coming!

And they did. Total ran this promotion at their garages where you could get a Galoob when you filled up your car (and I think you could buy them over the counter too). And, for those that don't know what  a Galoob is, or looked like... 


Now bear in mind, these little guys are small, that one is sitting on a 35mm film canister, which makes him about 1cm in height. They came in various poses and wearing different hats. There was also a larger version and standing ones too. None wore any pants!

Now the strange thing about Galoobs is that very few actually made it to 2013, I expect because of their size they did tend to end up being thrown out, or swallowed, or lost behind the bookcase. I and sure that family pets accounted for some, and  then general wear and tear eroded the population even more. I was fortunate to find this one a few years back at a toy fair, and he went awol almost immediately after I got him. I found him again while packing my flat to move, and after taking this pic he went awol once again. Yep, I own an awol Galoob.

The Galoob is indicative of the promotions that many of the garages used to offer to get people to buy petrol there.  Children would bug their parents to fill up with a specific petrol brand because of a promotion, and three that I specifically recall are: A map of South Africa in polystyrene with various "treasures" that had to be found. A chart with holes for plastic inserts with airline logos' on them, and finally a cardboard folder that had to be filled with silver coins depicting various Apollo and Gemini space missions.  

In spite of us not having a car I too used to collect these gimmicks, and that is thanks to generous friends and petrol attendants. Alas, none of my collections have survived. 

Remind me one day to discuss things in cereal boxes..... 
 



 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.