Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Rietfontein just wont go away.

Last year I was fortunate enough to do a lot of grave hunting in the Rietfontein area, and blogged about it on a number of occasions. For those that are not aware of it, this small piece of Johannesburg is the site of at least 4 cemeteries associated with the Rietfontein Infectious Diseases Hospital.


It is a very pristine and unchanged environment which is only really marred by people who use it as a dump site. There are also in excess of 7000 people buried on the site. I was able to catalogue 3 individual burial areas with headstones, but was unable to really know the extent of the burial areas, or where the other burial areas were situated. From what I read there was a Jewish Cemetery, a Plague Cemetery and a burial area where diseased animals were buried.  My last visit was in late November last year, and I recall that I did feel that all it really took was the wrong person at the wrong time with the wrong motive. 


The irony is that squatters will not even settle on this piece of land, so it must have something to hide? 

However, I did receive a link today that pointed to somebody who was going to develop on this site. There was mention of two schools, a community and youth centre, low cost housing, a police station and so forth. All, at no cost to the government. Assuming the link doesn't go down you can read about it here and here . I can hear myself saying "I told you so" all the way in the UK!

I won't comment further, except to say that when they turn the soil I want to be very far away. I don't know what the life of pathogens is like in soil, but I don't think I would like to find out, because the people who are buried at Rietfontein did not die of old age, and it wasn't called an infectious diseases hospital because they didn't have another name for it. 

Let us see how far this goes. I bet that quite a few people are smiling all the way to the bank already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.